FIRST ANNUAL SMOKY MOUNTAIN MUSTANG CLUB
MUSTANG AND FORD SHOW – SEPTEMBER 16, 2017
And PONY RIDE – SEPTEMBER 17, 2017

The Smoky Mountain Mustang Club (SMMC) will be hosting a Mustang Club of America (MCA) Regional Show on Saturday September 16, 2017 on the campus of Roane State Community College (RSCC), 701 Briarcliff Ave., Oak Ridge, TN 37830. The show will be on a level, paved parking lot with ample space for over 500 show cars. Since this is a September show, the summer heat will be behind us and (with luck) comfortable temperatures will prevail. The Lion’s Club will be on site providing hot food at reasonable prices and RSCC has agreed to make their rest room facilities available for us.

This will be followed by a Pony Ride through the Devil’s Triangle on September 17, 2017. The Triangle is a fabulous road for Mustangs located northwest of Oak Ridge, TN in the Cumberland Mountains. Registration, the driver’s meeting and the beginning of the cruise will take place at Roane State Community College. SMMC has a planned stop at Gondolier 792 Briarcliff Ave Oak Ridge, Tn 37830 for lunch. We anticipate arriving there around 11:30 am. Please have plenty of gas in your car. Although the Devils Triangle is only 44 miles (plus 10 miles to get to it) this is a twisty, mountainous road that will devastate any fuel economy records you might have thought about.

Schedule of events:
September 16, 2017
          8:00 am to 11:00 am Show Registration
          11:30 am Judges Meeting
          12:00 pm to 3:00 pm Judging
          4:30 pm Awards Presentations
September 17, 2017
          8:30 am to 9:00 am Pony Ride Registration
          9:00 am Drivers Meeting
          9:30 am Begin Cruise to the Triangle
          11:30 am Stop for lunch at Gondolier Italian Restaurant
          1:00 pm Return to Oak Ridge

To register for either or both events, {click here} 

 

Map for the Pony Ride

Show Site Area Information

Before the formation of Anderson County, Tennessee, the territory was initially land of what is today called the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, which had been settled by several pioneer families including the Wallace, Gibbs, Freels, Frost and Tunnell families. Although the Treaty of Holston, signed in 1791, was intended as a negotiation with the Cherokee to prohibit settlement of the area including what is to day Anderson County, the treaty became ineffective as more settlers moved through the Appalachian Mountains from Virginia and North Carolina into Tennessee. The flooding of white settlers into the Indian domain was cause for several skirmishes, which eased after the Treaty of Tellico in 1798 (with an origination point for relinquished land from the Cherokee being the Tellico Blockhouse) allowed for greater ease in settling the area. Anderson County was partitioned from a portion of Grainger County, Tennessee as well as a portion of Know County, Tennessee, 1801; neighboring Roane County, Tennessee, was also formed from a portion of Knox County, Tennessee, in 1801, making Anderson and Roane Counties effectively called ‘sister counties’. Anderson County was named in honor of Joseph Anderson (1757-1847), who was at the time U.S. senator from Tennessee, and whose career also included judge of the Superior Court of the Territory South of the River Ohio and Comptroller of the U.S. Treasury. The first seat of government in the county was Burrville, named after Vice President Aaron Burr. After Burr killed Alexander Hamilton in their famous duel, and became implicated in a land speculation scheme, the Tennessee General Assembly changed the name of the Anderson County’s seat to Clinton, honoring Vice President George Clinton or his nephew, DeWitt Clinton.

Once known for agriculture and coal mining as its leading industries, the county was propelled to national prominence with the construction of Norris Dam, the first dam built by the Tennessee Valley Authority, brought major changes to the county in the 1930s. Approximately 2900 families were relocated from reservoir lands in Anderson and nearby counties during the construction, which began in 1933 and was completed in 1936. The town of Norris was initially built as a planned community to house the workers involved in the construction of this dam. As a result of the dam completion and operation, the temperature of the downstream Clinch River bed changed, so that a former pearl industry which had been successful for many years evaporated as the mussels, once prevalent in the river, were not able to sustain live in the changed climate.

During World War II, the federal government’s Manhattan Project brought more change to the county, including the displacement of more families and the founding of Oak Ridge.
The Museum of Appalachia in Norris commemorates pioneer and rural life of past decades in Anderson County and the surrounding region.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 345 square miles (890 km), of which 337 square miles (870 km) is land and 7.6 square miles (20 km) (2.2%) is water. As of the 2010 census, its population was 75,129.